Sunday, November 20, 2011

A worm crawled out daddy!!!

The day before I was in the front yard with the kids. For whatever reason, Ben had picked up and saved two acorns among the hundreds in our driveway. That night, he took them out of his pocket and asked to sleep with them. I was too tired to give a reason why not. In the morning he brought one of them down to the breakfast table and put them by his bowl of oatmeal. Breakfast proceeded normally. When I was at the sink, Ben told me "My acorn is moving!" I shrugged it off. I later sat down across from him and started to eat my cereal. Ben said "Look, a worm!!" I could not believe it. A larva had chewed a hole in the acorn and was now wiggling around on his place mat much to Ben and Mary's delight. As we continued to eat, another one crawled out a few minutes later. I knew Jane was never going to believe it when she got up. At this point, I decided to bag the acorn so Jane could see the biology lesson for herself.

When she came down, she asked where the other one was located and I told her it must be in his bed. She quickly went upstairs to hunt for it in his sheets. She found it and put it outside on the back porch. In the course of an hour, not only did a third larva hatch from the acron on the table, but one "hatched" out of the second acorn! Ben proudly went on the whole day thinking he had powers. He slept with two acorns, incubated them, and caused them to hatch. Imagine the chances of finding not one, but two infested acorns in the driveway. We always knew our kid was special.

2 comments:

G'ma S. said...

Would have made a great show "n" tell!

G'ma G said...

I suppose future acorns sleepovers involve a baggie. I am learning, this is what it is like with boys!